Intern - Design Research in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Are you looking for a Design Research internship opportunity in a challenging and quick paced environment? A chance to be part of a Design Research team building out the next generation products, services, and experiences for the company? Then look no further than Milwaukee Tool.
Milwaukee Tool is an industry-leading manufacturer of heavy-duty power tools, accessories and hand tools for professional users worldwide.
Since the company began in 1924, Milwaukee Tool has led the industry in both durability and performance. With an unwavering commitment to the trades, Milwaukee continues to lead with a focus on providing innovative, trade-specific solutions. To do this, Milwaukee takes the time to work side by side with real craftsman to understand the demands of a constantly changing workplace and how they can best deliver solutions that help the user work both faster and smarter.
The Design Research team at Milwaukee Tool sits within our upfront user-centered design and technology development group, and is tasked with gaining deep understanding of our users and translating strategic and functional findings into product opportunities for the company. As a Design Research intern, you will work with members of the Design Research team on one to two projects over the summer, shadowing Researchers in the field, helping the Researchers lead cross-functional workshops, and participating in data analysis sessions. At the end of the summer you will present what you learned to your team and key stakeholders within the company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist current members of the Design Research team conduct multi-faceted research to learn about a defined aspect of the construction trade. You might be doing contextual discovery research on jobsites, primary and secondary research exercises to understand the competitive product set, or validation of preliminary concept prototypes in field.
- Participate in analysis and synthesis sessions to translate key insights into opportunities for new feature sets, functionalities and business approaches.
- Help plan and facilitate participatory hands-on tool evaluations, team workshops, and analysis sessions to build empathy and inspire creativity and collaboration within your team.
- Present your project findings at the end of the internship. You will be challenged to communicate your work through a well-crafted story and presentation.
- You are curious: about your research topic, the company, your co-workers, and your process
- You are comfortable working in the ambiguous "fuzzy front end"
- You are comfortable with approaching and talking to a wide range of users -- we do research with everyone from engineers to general contractors to foremen to electricians on the jobsite
- You have passion for the importance of user insights in the product development process and link everything back to our core end user's activities and needs
Education and Experience Requirements
- Actively pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Psychology, Anthropology, or Sociology
- Upon an interview, must be prepared to present on a project and its methodology