Under minimal direction, the Advanced Manufacturing Engineer (AME) serves as a liaison between New Product Development (NPD) and Operations. The AME is responsible to lead the manufacturing implementation of NPD processes to support product strategy and product roadmap. This position facilitates the Project Management initiatives with NPD and MFG teams to successfully launch quality new products, on time and on budget.
This role is a fundamental part of our Manufacturing engineering team located in a fast-paced manufacturing environment. We are looking for a self-motivated individual with proven project experience, as well as someone who exhibits the drive for continuous improvement.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Program Management:
- Lead mid to high level manufacturing projects, providing direction, guidance and engineering expertise to team members.
- Attend NPD meetings, work with the Operations Team to develop and maintain manufacturing action plans for new tooling, equipment, and production scheduling needs.
- Coordinate NPD builds and follow up actions, including but not limited to Engineering Builds, Qualification Builds, and Pilot builds.
- Create collaborative project communication channels with NPD, Engineering, Manufacturing, Production Scheduling, Quality, Supervision, and floor operators.
- Develop and maintain Gantt Charts, Project Schedule, Risk Assessment, and Contingency Plans.
- Develop agendas to facilitate and document project meetings.
- Deliver formal presentations to leadership regarding project status.
- Manage suppliers of capital equipment for turn-key applications / custom equipment. Manage cost, timing and budget of each project
- Research, develop, and implement new manufacturing processes and capital equipment to improve current throughput, scrap/rework reduction, reduce cost, improve quality and improve reliability.
- Drive major strategic cost, quality and delivery initiatives with aggressive focus on breakthrough process and technology improvements to achieve a substantial competitive advantage.
- Work with prototypes to confirm manufacturing time/cost estimates and test proposed manufacturing processes.
- Conduct equipment certification and run-off, using statistical analysis tools to verify process rate, capability and Gage R&R.
- Familiar with GD&T, Process Flow Diagrams, PFMEA, and Control Plans
- Ability to use CAD to design tooling, fixtures, and gages.
- Assist with Continuous Improvement Projects
- Kaizen Activities, Visual Management, Value Stream Mapping, 5S, OEE, Work Instructions, Time Studies, Line Balancing, etc
- Process Design Analysis
- Perform a wide variety of calculations and software aided analysis.
- Possess a creative and innovative approach to problem solving.
- Provide multiple what-if scenarios to find best total cost solution.
- Exhibit vision and foresight to test process extremes and build a robust risk assessment analysis matrix to ensure project success.
- Well rounded understanding of financial impacts.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Manufacturing, Mechanical, or Industrial Engineering/Technology or equivalent years of directly related experience
- Minimum five years related experience in a manufacturing environment
- Minimum one year project management experience
- Specialty skills in Metal Stamping, Forging, Machining, Injection Molding or Assembly applications desired
- Controls and Automation experience preferred
- Self-starter, sense of urgency, excellent communication skills
- Strong decision making skills with the ability to grasp technical concepts quickly
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite -- Including MS Project
- CAD Proficient