Employee Type: Full-time
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin
Job Type: Engineering - Electrical
Date Posted: 7/23/2021
INNOVATE WITHOUT BOUNDARIES! At Milwaukee Tool we firmly believe that our People and our Culture are the secrets to our success -- so we give you unlimited access to everything you need to create disruptive new technologies and solutions on our engineering teams. Our Engineering Team is responsible for giving life to the batteries, motors, and electronics that power solutions changing the lives of our users. Every developmental phase of these critical components happens in-house under the watch of this team. We continue to invest in a mix of mechanical and electrical engineering expertise to design and develop leadership in motor capabilities. We create Best-in-Class products by leveraging advanced analysis tools, extensive hands-on testing regimes, state-of-the-art manufacturing processes, and cross-functional agility.
Behind our doors you'll be empowered every day to own it, drive it, and do what it takes to design and develop the biggest breakthroughs in the industry. Meanwhile, you'll have the support and resources of the fastest-growing brand in the construction industry to make it happen.
Year after year, our team continues to make significant breakthroughs in the industry. We're just getting started. To learn more about our story click HERE.
The Principal Motors Engineer will lead a team to collaborate with local cross-functional, Global Motor Engineering, and Operations teams in the design of motor solutions for products by creating and executing test plans to verify motor performance and thermal limits per project requirements. You will identify engineering trends and drive strategies to guide the organization's technical direction and ensure consistent and efficient mass-produced Milwaukee motors and products around the world.
You'll also be DISRUPTIVE through these duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and lead a small to medium sized team of engineers in the designing, prototyping, testing, and troubleshooting of motors for high complexity projects.
- Establish and drive test regimens for components and assemblies within scope of the project and organization to aid in design verification and failure modes.
- Conduct hands-on experiments of power tools, perform simulations, and draw concise, logical conclusions by analyzing data.
- Perform root cause failure analysis of motor test failures.
- Drive supplier relationships to develop part/product specifications that meet performance requirements while falling within process capabilities.
- Make clean-sheet motor designs of brushed and brushless DC motors and AC universal motors to optimize performance tailored to product requirements.
- Perform electromagnetic design changes to laminations to improve existing designs.
- Mentor and coach the team in engineering best practices including task management, Gantt charts, root cause analysis, motor design, and manufacturing.
- Champion technology investigations including system requirements, architecture definitions, and reusability strategies.
- Establish and maintain a strong awareness and database of competitive offerings, product strategies, and business climate to shape a best-in-class roadmap.
- Quickly, effectively, and candidly frame-up and escalate business risks/opportunities to senior leadership.
- Effectively communicate and motivate up, down and across the organization to a diverse range of technical and non-technical team members.
- Drive urgency in project schedules and accountability for establishing and achieving key project metrics that meet the organization's needs.
- Ensure the team is given the time and resources required to succeed by creating and managing robust project roadmaps and resource plans with converged project scope.
- Develop plans to evaluate and assess the emerging technology market space to fit/compliment Milwaukee Tool product initiatives and development.
What TOOLS you'll bring with you:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
- 7+ years of experience in a related design field.
- 2+ years of leadership experience
- Experience using CAD.
- Proficient in theory of Brushless DC Motors.
- Familiarity with Brushed PMDC, Universal, Induction and Switched Reluctance motors and theory.
- Extensive knowledge of motor controls, battery technology, vibration, and sound analysis.
- Understanding of motor assembly and motor component design/manufacturing and what drives cost and durability.
- Self-motivated, organized, efficient, process oriented with a strong work ethic.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, exercises independent judgement and works well under pressure in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time (domestic and international).
Other TOOLS we prefer you to have:
- Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
- Proficiency with FEA.
- Understanding of metal stamping, steel machining, and injection molded processes.
We provide these great perks and benefits:
- Robust health, dental and vision insurance plans.
- Generous 401 (K) savings plan.
- Education assistance.
- On-site wellness, fitness center, food, and coffee service.
- And many more, check out our benefits site HERE.
JOIN OUR TALENT NETWORK
Not ready to apply yet but still interested in building a future here at Milwaukee Tool? Join our Talent Network and be among the first to hear about new job opportunities, hiring events, insider knowledge, company news, and so much more! We look forward to staying connected with you.