Milwaukee Tool is looking for an experienced garment / soft goods sample maker to lead our in-house prototype textiles lab. Milwaukee Tools product line is continually expanding; come join a growing creative team that is building a portfolio of advanced products.
Milwaukee Tool seeks an individual who is collaborative, professional, responsible, precise, and skilled. The position reports to the Industrial Design department. We are looking for a high energy individual who can contribute to innovative solutions in textiles. Candidates for this role are creative and have a passion of problem solving while working collaboratively with others. Candidates would also be very detailed oriented with over-site of maintenance on machines and material inventory.
Necessary skills include:
- Robust understanding of textile material properties.
- Comprehend the full cycle of a garment/soft goods production process.
- Up-to-date with the newest industry construction techniques and trends.
- Stitching with single needle, double needle, overlock and cover stitching and taping machines.
- Strong knowledge of sewing construction and sewing techniques (including cut + sew).
- Strong knowledge of patterning.
- Experience with or willingness to be trained on 21 gage knitting machine and 13 gage knitting machine would be beneficial.
This position is responsible for working with designers and engineers to produce soft-good samples with a range of woven, non-woven, and structural materials and an understanding of the appropriate fidelity/finish required for various circumstance. Samples will include garments, bags, and accessories, and a variety of other soft goods. The role necessitates an individual who can work with a team from initial concept through final prototype and is responsible for reading key construction information including tech packs/drawings, providing material samples, and assembling accurate samples from the given data.
- Executing prototypes of garments/soft goods from the initial concept through final fitting.
- Collaborating with design lead to identify and analyze problems and propose solutions.
- Provides feedback on challenges, documentation inconsistencies, proposes solutions, questions and recommendations to support product improvements and project management targets.
- Reads and follows product tech packs, graded specs and size charts, bills of materials, and construction notes accurately and with attention to detail.
- Create patterns and samples based on technical documents and product specifications.
- Recommend construction techniques to help streamline manufacturing processes.
- Accurately construct samples in a timely manner and with minimal rework.
- Keep project records and collaborate with design managers.
- Create and maintain pattern library (physical and digital).
- Must be flexible and committed to preforming all duties and completing job assignment.
- Agile mindset and must be able to work on multiple projects
- Needs to perform work on location in Milwaukee, WI (Brookfield Headquarters)
- Maintains the textiles lab inventory of materials and trims.
- Monitors inventory of trims and supplies, and coordinates with sewing room manager to order replenishment as needed.
- Keeps the equipment and machinery in good working order and schedules necessary maintenance.
- Keeps the textiles lab clean and organized.
Job Qualifications Required
- Minimum of 8 years on a Front-End Innovation / R&D Team with a proven track record of creativity and invention in the Consumer Products Market
- Position may include direct reports as workload increases, must be able to train, coach and increase to reflect our organizational capacity and needs.
- Experience with industrial sewing machines and maintenance of operations.