The Project Leader is responsible for managing multiple low to moderately complex engineering projects with minimal direction. Individuals in this position will provide project management and necessary technical direction to assure successful and timely implementation of projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership over moderate to highly complex design projects. Gives direction, guidance and engineering expertise to local and global team members. Reviews work of designers, engineers and other project team members. Set goals for the team.
- Develops Schedules, agendas, facilitates and documents project meetings. Tracks project schedule to ensure adherence to timelines. Regularly makes presentations of project status.
- Responsible for the completion of assigned engineering projects within budgetary and scheduling guidelines.
- Able to coordinate project planning efforts for low to moderate complexity projects. Identify critical path tasks and project risks with moderate supervision.
- Applies a good understanding of the NPD process from conception through product launch. Anticipates engineering deliverables in all phases. Clearly understands the philosophies behind the various NPD phases and is able to objectively determine the maturity level of a design, development process, and use of the CTQ matrix.
- Frame up technical tradeoff discussions with Marketing and other cross function team members. Exercise effective scheduling development work to meet overall project milestones.
- Ensure effective communication with cross functional international team as well as management team. This includes daily team communications as well as high level project summaries.
- Identify possible design/manufacturing hurdles that must be overcome to manufacture product. Effectively scrutinize designs for potential weaknesses and suggest improvements.
- Work with Operations, Quality and Suppliers to confirm delivery of conforming products.
- Motivate cross functional team to work toward, and accomplish, project objectives. Maintain focus of project team on cost, performance and schedule.
- Does not have formal supervisory responsibilities, although will provide input for performance appraisals for Engineering and cross functional project team members.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum 7 years engineering experience in related field.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering.
- Proven success in past work experience in designing a product that was mass produced.
- Experience in managing low to moderately complex new product development projects.
- Must possess a high level of engineering aptitude including a broad knowledge of materials and manufacturing process associated Milwaukee Tool products. Solid understanding of part costing methodology.
- Good understanding of engineering specifications and the roles of Suppliers, Quality, and Purchasing in delivering conforming parts and assemblies.
- Excellent problem identification and resolution skills.
- Results driven and deadline orientated. Ability to manage projects to aggressive schedules and results. Ability to handle fast paced, and agile culture. Ability to adapt to constant change and competing priorities.
- Thrive in a collaborative work environment. Ability to develop and nurture productive business relationships, and influence and educate internal team members and external suppliers.
- Ability to draft comprehensive test plans and specifications.
- Basic understanding of 3D CAD, and familiarity with tolerance analysis.
- 10-15% travel required.