The Supplier Quality Engineer provides quality engineering services on cross-functional R&D and Operations projects, including New Product Development, Product Support, and Value Engineering. The primary duty of this position is to provide supplier selection support, development, and management on Milwaukee Tool's key suppliers. The Supplier Quality Engineer will work closely with Sourcing and Engineering personnel to communicate quality plans and strategies for key suppliers based on quality performance, cost objectives, drawing and engineering controls, and process / product requirements.
The position will also lead on-site supplier process assessments/audits to assure compliance to product requirements and process documentation. This position will develop action plans and monitor implementation of changes and improvements while also coaching suppliers in the utilization of best practices in manufacturing techniques.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, coordinate, and conduct supplier audits to ensure that necessary process and quality controls are in place during supplier assessment visits or on-going supplier management assessments.
- Implement and maintain quality improvement and auditing systems with suppliers. These systems will focus on process controls, metrology, quality control, quality management and quality systems.
- Understand the supplier's current capabilities and potential new capabilities and communicate to purchasing, engineering, and quality personnel.
- Drive resolution of quality issues back to the supplier. This includes customer complaints and non-conformances documented through reports, rating systems, supplier corrective action reporting, or other means of effective resolution of quality issues.
- Identify systemic supplier quality issues and drive corrective and preventative actions through: 1) data and information collection regarding trends and issues 2) data and information collection from assessments and from supply base, and 3) root cause analysis and problem resolution.
- Compile and report on supplier performance metrics.
- Participate in supplier scorecard reviews along with sourcing to assess suppliers on their ability to meet quality and delivery goals.
- Demonstrated specialized depth and/or breadth of process expertise in required area of focus.
- Resolves complex problems using Root Cause, 8Ds, Six Sigma and decision matrices.
- Leads others to solve problems using analytical thought, exercising judgment and identifying innovative solutions. May lead functional teams or projects.
- Communicates difficult concepts such as process improvements and changes and negotiates with others to effectively influence as appropriate.
- Create non-conformance material records (NCMR) in the QMS
- Champion Supplier Corrective Actions (SCAR) to ensure effective root cause analysis and implementation in a timely manner.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in either Quality, Manufacturing, Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering plus five (5) to eight (8) years of related work experience in a Supplier Quality role.
- Experience in Supplier Management through the process of supplier selection, supplier auditing, supplier evaluations, supplier scorecards, supplier development, supplier improvement, and working through supplier exiting Strategies, when necessary.
- Ability to work in a cross functional team and matrix management environment.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interpret process risks and gaps with extended supply chain and sub-tier suppliers and recommend best practices for improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to indirectly lead a group and/or team and provide guidance and influence other employees.
- Proven track record of demonstrating leadership in managing complex, integrated projects.
- Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing principles and ability to apply Lean tools such as Value Stream Mapping, 5S, Change-Over Reduction, and identify waste.
- Working knowledge of Quality Management Systems to create, track, and document non-conformance records (NCMR), Supplier Corrective Actions (SCAR), and root cause analysis (8D).
- Working knowledge with 1) lead auditing, 2) gauging methods, procedures and software and 3) Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing
- Travel required up to 40-50% domestically and internationally, sometimes on short notice.
- Professional society / organizational certification (CQE, CQA)
- Experience with ISO-9001, TS16949, or VDA 6.3 process auditing
- Lean Manufacturing or Six Sigma Green Belt
- Experience in a manufacturing environment