Under general direction, the CI Engineer supports the efficient manufacturing of existing products and introduction of new products through equipment and process design, coaching, and facilitating plant level continuous improvement activities (5S, Kaizen, Value Stream Mapping, etc).
The Continuous Improvement Engineer is a change agent responsible for assessing the effectiveness of various business functions/processes to execute sustainable breakthrough and cost out improvements. This position is also responsible for the implementation and execution of these lean practices by guiding and motivating employees through training and leading by example toward teamwork and long-term sustainable improvement goals.
This position is a fundamental part of our operations team located in a fast-paced manufacturing environment. We are looking for a self-motivated individual with proven lean experience, as well as someone who exhibits the drive for continuous improvement. This position works independently and uses highly developed lean expertise and project management abilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Continuous Improvement
- Assist in the development, implementation, and sustainment of Lean Manufacturing System
- Prepare reports and statistics of strategic costs; cost-out initiatives; various planned process improvements; new product introductions and various others
- Assist in development of plant operational metrics to communicate shop performance
- Build the skills of all functional leaders and associates through hands-on interactions and personal mentoring in lean management tools, cultural change leadership and strategy deployment
- Develop and deliver Lean training to all levels of organization as needed
- Lead Kaizen, SMED, and Value Stream Mapping Events
- Analyze and improve plant material flow and layouts
- Develop visual standardized work instructions
- Implement Pull systems
- Root cause and 5-why analysis
- Implement Visual factory tools (5S, shadow boards, etc)
- Conduct time/delay studies on machines and operators as needed. Perform operator balance, manning levels, indirect labor studies. Establish manufacturing standard time values
- Project Management:
- Use a DMAIC approach to project management
- Develop action plans, project metrics, then measure and report progress of improvements on an ongoing basis
- Implement Capital Projects as needed
- Schedule, develop agendas to facilitate and document efficient project meetings.
- Deliver formal presentations to leadership regarding project status
- Provide multiple what-if scenarios to find best total cost solution. Well rounded understanding of financial impacts
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, or equivalent years of directly related experience
- Minimum one year related experience in a manufacturing environment
- Have excellent organizational skills and possess knowledge of production systems and techniques.
- Must demonstrate excellent analytical and logic thinking skills to understand and analyze complex business processes
- Data analysis Skills in MS Excel and/or Minitab
- Desired Qualifications
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certification