Senior Electrical Engineer - Battery in Brookfield, Wisconsin
The Senior Electrical Engineer -- Battery will lead the design of new product, responsible for all aspects of design including lithium-ion battery embedded electronics, hardware, firmware, schematic capture, and documentation. This includes working in a team environment interacting with marketing, mechanical engineering, and manufacturing.
Since the company began in 1924, Milwaukee Tool has led the industry in both durability and performance. Today, we continue that tradition while incorporating leading-edge technologies to unlock the versatility and productivity of cordless products. Milwaukee Tool engineers have the opportunity to be a contributing member of project teams empowered to deliver game-changing solutions into the world of professional tool users. Every day our team of talented engineers strive to push boundaries and drive innovation in everything we create. Engineers get to see products evolve from concept through ground-up design and delivered into the hands of our users on the jobsite.
Over the last decade, Milwaukee Tool has completely changed the industry by delivering disruptive innovation built on the world's most capable and reliable Lithium-Ion based cordless systems. Our engineering endeavors span battery chemistry, custom designed SIPs, advanced power conversion and management systems, data communications, wireless connectivity, database software development, state-of-the-art electronic control algorithms, and more. This relentless commitment to technology has delivered first-to-market platforms such as our M18 FUEL™ and M12 FUEL™ brushless-motor systems, ONE-KEY™ wireless digital management system, and REDLITHIUM® USB Battery system. In turn, we have seen growth unparalleled in our industry and reinvested right back into our company to provide world-class design and development facilities to enable our continued success. Come see what Milwaukee Tool has to offer, we promise you will be impressed!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, prototype, test, and troubleshoot embedded electronics hardware and firmware while providing guidance to junior engineers.
- Provide expertise and engineering support on high complexity projects.
- Effectively identify and communicate issues to upper management in a clear, concise, and timely manner while driving action based on urgency.
- Create new circuit designs using schematic capture, PCB layout software, SPICE, and knowledge of industry best practices.
- Strong understanding of power management and ultra-low power embedded hardware and firmware implementations.
- Troubleshoot lithium-ion battery embedded electronics down to the component level.
- Perform battery-related tests to qualify batteries for mass production.
- Establish and execute test regimens for components and assemblies within scope of the project and organization.
- Use laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, power supplies, electrical loads, and data acquisition systems.
- Independently track projects to ensure adherence to schedule and the Milwaukee process.
- Design and qualify new designs to applicable regulatory standards such as UL, CEC, CE, and ANSI.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or similar field.
- 5+ years of experience in related design field.
- Familiarity with using schematic capture, PCB layout software, SPICE, and knowledge of industry best practices.
- Understanding of lithium-ion charging principles and tradeoffs between the pack and charger.
- Understanding of lithium-ion pack discharging behavior and controls and safe handling practices.
- Understanding of lithium-ion test qualification and data analysis.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time is required (domestic and international).
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel and Power Point.
- Preferred - Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering or similar field.