Principal Systems Engineer
INNOVATE WITHOUT BOUNDARIES! At Milwaukee Tool we firmly believe that our People and our Culture are the secrets to our success -- so we give you unlimited access to everything you need to create disruptive new technologies and solutions on our electrical engineering teams. Our Engineering Team is responsible for giving life to the batteries, motors, and electronics that power solutions changing the lives of our users. Every developmental phase of these critical components happens in-house under the watch of this team. We continue to invest in electrical engineering resources to design and develop leadership in electronic capabilities; something unique within the industry. And we're pushing the limits in firmware engineering, power electronics, embedded systems, machine learning, and the use of artificial intelligence.
Behind our doors you'll be empowered every day to own it, drive it, and do what it takes to design and develop the biggest breakthroughs in the industry. Meanwhile, you'll have the support and resources of the fastest-growing brand in the construction industry to make it happen.
Year after year, our team continues to make significant breakthroughs in the industry. We're just getting started. To learn more about our story click HERE.
The Principal Systems Engineer collaborates with a world class team of cross-functional engineers, product marketing, and other key stakeholders in utilizing Systems Engineering approaches to enable efficient development of innovative electric power tool and equipment systems. You will support the development and refinement of lightweight tools and processes for execution of system engineering practices within an agile, high-velocity product development environment.
You'll also be DISRUPTIVE through these duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and lead a small to medium sized team of electrical engineers in the designing, prototyping, testing, and troubleshooting of embedded electronics for a variety of projects.
- Define and maintain system architectures including hardware and firmware interfaces, configuration management, etc.
- Negotiate, define, and maintain electronic technology and platform roadmaps enabling product roadmaps defined by product marketing.
- Lead system requirements definition and documentation from voice of customer, business, and regulation.
- Collaborate on the development of system verification and validation strategies.
- Mentor and coach the team in engineering best practices including task management, Gantt charts, root cause analysis, circuit / PCB design, and PCBA, manufacturing.
- Champion technology investigations including system requirements, architecture definitions, and reusability strategies.
- Establish and maintain a strong awareness and database of competitive offerings, product strategies, and business climate to shape a best-in-class roadmap.
- Quickly, effectively, and candidly frame-up and escalate business risks/opportunities to senior leadership.
- Effectively communicate and motivate up, down and across the organization to a diverse range of technical and non-technical team members.
- Drive urgency in project schedules and accountability for establishing and achieving key project metrics that meet the organization's needs.
- Ensure the team is given the time and resources required to succeed by creating and managing robust project roadmaps and resource plans with converged project scope.
- Develop plans to evaluate and assess the emerging technology market space to fit/compliment Milwaukee Tool product initiatives and development.
What TOOLS you'll bring with you:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- 7+ years of experience in systems engineering, embedded systems, power electronics, or related field.
- Leadership experience.
- Experience with systems thinking and applying the systems approach to engineered systems.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, exercises independent judgement and works well under pressure in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time (domestic and international).
Other TOOLS we prefer you to have:
- Experience with model-based systems engineering, Universal Modeling Language (UML), and/or Systems Modeling Language (SysML).
We provide these great perks and benefits:
- Robust health, dental and vision insurance plans.
- Generous 401 (K) savings plan.
- Education assistance.
- On-site wellness, fitness center, food, and coffee service.
- And many more, check out our benefits site HERE.