Project Leader - Lighting & Lifestyle in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Project Leader at Milwaukee Tool is a critical and influential role within the organization. Leading international teams through global projects from concept to product launch is the fundamental objective.
The following are detailed performance goals for the Project Leader opportunity. When measuring overall technical skills, cultural fit and aptitude, all candidates will be benchmarked using these standards:
- One of the most important objectives for the Project Leader will be leading a cross-functional international team. Within 90 days, it will be essential to garner the respect of the current lighting leadership and cross-functional team members. Working with teams that span across the globe, considering technology challenges and personality differences that will be encountered.
- Additionally, it will be crucial to facilitate product feature trade off discussions to get the team aligned on projects within the first 30 days of the project. Speaking candidly and confidently with the team has proven to be the most successful approach, given the fast-paced and driven company culture.
- It will be necessary to motivate and influence 10-12 key team members that span across several departments and international locations. Each team will consist of individuals who have varying levels of experiences and skillsets; hence, requiring a unique set of skills for the Project Leader to ensure alignment.
- Providing technical direction to team members will also be key. This includes implementation of advanced technologies in products, resolution of product performance deficiencies, and design of complex optical systems.
- Equally important will be championing a portfolio of 2-5 global projects from concept to production. Being a true "CEO" on projects means that you will identify, assess, and measure risks for projects on a daily basis. Many risks may exist in design, but there are also risks that may be within a chosen manufacturing process. The Project Leader can navigate the team through these identified risks to find the best combination of design, manufacturing process and supplier to best execute the product.
- Working with cross-functional teams to identify and circumvent risks will be a weekly goal. Fully owning each project means that proactive interaction and communication with international team members will be constant.
- Within the first 12 months of a project, you will conduct verification testing on "off-tool" components. In addition, it is imperative that these tasks are completed while meeting all cost, performance and schedule targets.
- To complete these objectives, it will be vital to be extremely organized and detailed-oriented.
Each week, it is necessary to accurately determine cost, performance, and schedule of all projects you lead. Facilitating weekly international team meetings, which include weekly, if not daily, progress updates and team member task assignments for each project is expected.
- Working with a team on several different project phases from concept to product launch will generally take 12-18 months. Maintaining a rhythm of communication and a drive to converge ambiguity to a decision will be required.
- Possessing a high sense of urgency and delivering information in a timely manner will lead to ultimate project success.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum 5 years engineering experience in related field.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering.
- Proven success in past work experience in designing a product that was mass produced.
- Experience in managing moderately complex new product development projects.
- Must possess a high level of engineering aptitude including a broad knowledge of materials and manufacturing process associated Milwaukee Tool products.
- Solid understanding of part costing methodology.
- Good understanding of engineering specifications and the roles of Suppliers, Quality, and Purchasing in delivering conforming parts and assemblies.
- Excellent problem identification and resolution skills.
- Results driven and deadline orientated. Ability to manage projects to aggressive schedules and results. Ability to handle fast paced, and agile culture. Ability to adapt to constant change and competing priorities.
- Thrive in a collaborative work environment. Ability to develop and nurture productive business relationships, and influence and educate internal team members and external suppliers.
- Ability to draft comprehensive test plans and specifications.
- Basic understanding of 3D CAD, and familiarity with tolerance analysis.
- 10-15% travel required.