Our newly formed Digital Customer Experience (DCX) team focuses on uncovering the spoken and unspoken digital needs in three key audience verticals, end-users, distributors and employees. DCX is on a mission to put our key audiences at the heart of solutions via research, data, integrated technology and cross-team collaboration. We are looking for a UX Design Researcher to help us deliver measurable outcomes to our business, extend our reach, and grow lasting value to every audience we serve.
UX Design researchers champion applicable digital research methods to inform and influence DCX initiatives and upfront explorations. As an embedded member of a DCX product team, you collaborate with PMs, senior team members and other cross-functional partners throughout the organization to explore critical spaces, uncover problems and identify opportunities. In equal partnership with your peers and team members, your contributions will help drive growth in your practice area and every stage of the end-user lifecycle; acquisition, engagement, and support.
As a Senior UX Design Researcher at Milwaukee Tool, you will be allocated to a specific DCX product team in a UX Design Researcher capacity and provide insights, data, and recommendations to help your assigned product team make informed, more customer-centric decisions. In addition, you will lift UX design research efforts to help your team understand both typical usage and the more complex or rapidly evolving relationships between end-user journeys and audience verticals.
To accomplish this, you will:
- Work collaboratively with the DCX team to assess the existing journey maps and existing research to determine knowledge gaps and opportunities for further exploration based on prioritized needs.
- Turn open team questions and ambiguities into research explorations to inform product team canvases and road map candidates.
- Identify the optimal inquiry method and perform all aspects of the UX research lifecycle (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting, and communication). Adapt research plans on the fly and are resourceful in overcoming research execution challenges.
- Perform quick but thorough data analysis to uncover insightful and actionable results that drive tactical and strategic decisions
- At times your work will extend into sprint release cycle experiments that provide teams with meaningful, timely, and actionable customer insights. When applicable, facilitate design workshops and concepting sessions led by customer research insights.
- Empower your product team, key stakeholders and collaborative partners by involving them in various phases of research lifecycles and bringing them closer to the customer.
- Communicate research insights and recommendations across your product team and various stakeholders to inform strategic road maps and product canvas. Know the best format to convey findings for unique audiences (Ex: Research summaries/toplines, personas, journey maps etc)
- Help frame up the operating models for continuous discoveries for the DCX team. Collaborate with UX practice area leadership to help evolve and scale sustainable practices for upfront UX researchers across our department.
- 6 years of experience (Prefer BS or BFA in HCI, Cognitive Science, or related field)
- Proven experience in leading both generative and evaluative efforts. Hands-on experience with in-person and remote moderated/unmoderated user research methods that apply to digital or software landscapes. Strong understanding of which method of research to use in various situations.
- Demonstrated experience with onsite contextual inquiries and observational studies. (Willing and able to perform research in person on a construction job site)
- This role includes travelling up to 20% of the time and experience making your travel arrangements.
- Experience with supporting and growing UX design research repositories.
- Some experience running design workshops and or facilitating design concepting sessions.
- Hold passion for understanding the user and advocate on their behalf by continually communicating the user's perspective throughout the design process.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills as well as skilled user in Microsoft applications.
- Must include a link to an up-to-date, online portfolio or sharable examples of work to be considered.
- Experience working in an embedded software product team model and a desire to work in collaborative style teams.
Things we value
- An ability to communicate research findings in creative and impactful ways -- with solid attention to detail
- A strong sense of independence and initiative; an ability to determine how to prioritize your work, what you will need to accomplish it, ask for what you need and navigate communications when you are not receiving what you need
- A self-starter who can collaborate with others in a manner that builds trust
- Actively seeks and gives feedback in the spirit of the "Radical Candor" model
- A growth mindset and a desire to make things better
- A healthy balance of humility and confidence
- Thrive in the Milwaukee Tool core values (One team mentality, Candid, Always improving, Speed - Agility - Urgency, Empowered Leaders)