Come be DISRUPTIVE with us! At Milwaukee Tool, our most valued resource is our dedicated team of employees - employees who work with a passion to be the best and an unparalleled pride in their work and in the Milwaukee brand. We know that the only way to sustain growth and success is to value the growth and success of each person within the organization that's why we invest in an individual's growth and development from day one.
All our teams touch every step of the process, that is why our Engineering teams are some of the key contributors to our continuous innovations. The fast-paced, agile environment continuously delivers disruptive technologies by providing every team with the resources needed to excel and working directly with End Users to understand how to deliver heavy duty products with high performance. We create Best in Class products by leveraging advanced analysis tools, extensive testing regimes, state-of-the-art manufacturing processes, and cross-functional agility. To learn more about the Milwaukee story and our company click HERE.
- Assist the Materials Lab Manager to operate the Materials Lab (day to day ops).
- Primary responsibility for completion of submitted MLR's (drives completion).
- Responsible for minor maintenance and repair of Materials Lab equipment as required/necessary.
- Coordinates all required/necessary outsource lab functions, as well as locate and qualify new sources as required.
- Directs the efforts and training of interns/technicians.
- Helps maintain Lab consumables at necessary levels.
- Executes/drives Lab priorities per the Materials Lab Manager.
- High level of technical skill for failure analysis.
- Prepare and/or oversee Lab report creation and completion.
- Guide internal customers through materials testing available to choose correct testing to achieve desired data.
- Researches and recommends equipment upgrades or purchases as appropriate.
- Ability to explain and present materials analysis to various levels within the organization including executive management.
- Ability to suggest/recommend solutions to materials and process issues based on analysis as appropriate.
- Interact with suppliers for process and materials issues as appropriate.
- Significant ability to understand and interpret blue print metallurgical specifications.
- Strong willingness and ability to mix and use chemical etchants, including strong acids.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to locate and use appropriate standards (ASTM, ISO, etc...).
- Assist Production facility personnel with training or Lab procedure creation/refinement as necessary.
- Occasional travel to suppliers, potential suppliers and Production facilities.
- Maintain a safe and efficient work environment.
- Strong mentoring, training, developing and coaching to junior colleagues.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High ability to work in a cross-functional team atmosphere and work at various levels within the company.
- Ability to present experimental data, analysis, conclusions and recommendations in a group setting to a variety of company levels and educational disciplines.
- Member of at least one professional society such as ASM.
- Attend seminars to learn new techniques, investigate new analysis technologies or enhance skills.
Additional Desired Skills
- Proficiency with MS Office. Lotus Notes experience helpful.
- Experience with carbide joining methodologies, secondary operations and evaluation techniques.
- Knowledge of coating technologies.
- Experience with advanced analysis techniques such as SEM and EDS.
- Familiarity with a variety of materials, primarily steel. Basic knowledge of aluminum, polymers, brass, bronze, magnesium and titanium knowledge helpful.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in Metallurgy, Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science at minimum.
- Minimum of seven years practical experience with Materials Laboratory practice and failure analysis. Process Engineering/Development background considered a plus.